Wednesday, March 10, 2010

What luck?

Happy Accident (rain in the desert) 30x20

This painting is cyclic in may ways, like all of the striped paintings that I do. It is a dessert landscape at dusk, that is shortly about to receive some random rain. Like money from someone rich..."mmmm...money...mmm....double money." It screams, "there's always hope, even in the bleakest of circumstances," etc. But seriously, I endeavored to create the mood of serendipity.
I went over the tape a little on each layer of the sky in order to suggest rain beginning to fall from the clouds, delineated by the edge of the tape. The the 'ground' layers share alternating angled brush strokes to create a sense of slope for the dunes. I'm considering dropping the tape thing altogether, though. I'd like to just go free hand. But a part of me likes the restriction of tape, and the random fractal-esque patterns the water and paint create under it. I just don't know. Which means it's time to experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment