Thursday, March 11, 2010

Checking The Boat Listings


Listing Boat 60x48

Of all the churning random hearts
Under the sun
Eventually fading into night,
These two are opening now
As we lie, I touch you
Under fuller light.

Girl, if you're a seascape
I'm a listing boat, for the thing carries every hope.
I invest in a single light.
The choice is yours to be loved
Come away from an emptier boat.

-The Shins

Don't mean to be trite by posting a bunch of shins lyrics, but I really did get the name from this song. I love the melody of the verse right at the moment that James Mercer sings the lyrics "I'm a listing boat." There was resonance in that combination for me. Hard to say why. But this painting looks like that lyric and melody sound together. Combined, there's a multidimensional sensory experience, I guess. Maybe hearing the sound of the melody with the meaning of the lyrics, whilst staring at my own painting is similar to what synaesthetics experience. WHO KNOWS? Tell me that. Who knows?
I'll tell you what, when my friend Brian Hudson and I rode our bikes to Portland, OR, we rode right by James Mercer's house, which used to belong to Elliott Smith...purportedly, anyway. Yes we sure did.

No comments:

Post a Comment